MAY 15, 1909


JAN. 9, 1926—NOV. 20, 1926





Jan. 9, 1926

Page 1




Mrs. John Sutton, 82, and child, 2 ½ years old, victims of accident in Avoyelles Parish.


     Details of an unfortunate tragedy which occurred in this parish Tuesday night, in which two persons lost their lives and three others sustained more or less serious injuries, reached the New office early Wednesday morning. The dead are Mrs. John Sutton, 82 years old and the 2 ½ year-old son of Mr. And Mrs. R. M. Yoist, of Alexandria. The injured are Mr. And Mrs. Yoist and T. B. Gamble, well known Alexandria traveling man.

     The deaths and injuries resulted from an automobile accident which occurred about 7:30 o’clock Tuesday night on a bridge over Bayou des Glaises, between Mansura and Long Bridge, of this parish. Mrs. Sutton and the child were drowned and Mr. & Mrs. Yoist and Mr. Gamble were injured when the car went off the bridge into the bayou.

     Mrs. Sutton, who was a resident of Red Fish, had been in Alexandria visiting her son-in-law and daughter, Mr. & Mrs. Yoist. Mr. Yoist conducts a mercantile establishment in the Enterprise addition at Alexandria and is a customer and friend of Mr. Gamble. Mrs. Sutton wanted to go home, and Mr. Gamble, it is announced kindly consented to carry her in his automobile. Mr. & Mrs. Yoist and child went with them and the party left Alexandria Tuesday afternoon.

     According to information furnished Mr. Gamble was driving, and when he approached the Bayou des Glaises bridge his machine missed the “runners” leading to the bridge and across the structure. The car ?  ? the railings of the bridge, knocked it down, and the machine plunged into the water twenty-five feet below. Just how any of the party escaped death is miraculous.

     Mr. & Mrs. Yoist were seriously injured, and are at present at the residence of Mr. & Mrs. D. A. Concoin, of Longbridge. Mr. Gamble, although seriously injured, returned to Alexandria, but went back to the scene of the tragedy, with others, to endeavor to recover the body of the child, which has not as yet been found. The body of Mrs. Sutton was recovered a short time after the accident occurred.

     Mrs. Sutton was the wife of John Sutton, a planter of Red Fish, Avoyelles parish. The family is well known in this section of the state, where they have resided for thirty years or more. She was the mother of Henry Sutton, of Alexandria.

     The automobile was badly damaged, according to reports. It was pulled out of the bayou Wednesday morning, with a block and tackle.

     The body of the little son, of Mr. & Mrs. Yoist had not been recovered up to late Thursday afternoon, but searching parties are still at work in and effort to find it.





     The very sudden death of Mr. Sidney Bergeron, occurred at his home here on Saturday, January 2, 1926, at 2:15 a.m. and his untimely demise came as a great shock to our community. Mr. Bergeron, whose friends were legion, was a man of sterling character, and his noble principles were apparent in his every dealing with those from the highest to the lowliest walks of life. The call came at the beginning of a New Year, when plans were being entertained by him for a “1926, of peace, happiness and prosperity.” New Year’s day found him mingling with friends extending to them his sincere wishes for their well being and telling them of what he hoped to accomplish during the coming months. But how true it is, that “man proposes and God disposes,” and how uncertain is human life! There is but a breath of air and a beat of the heart betwixt this world and the next. These are words that ring true to the wife, mother, brothers, relatives and friends, for his death came without premonition and after a brief instant, he lay lifeless—his soul departed for that Land that knows no sorrow—for it cannot be that earth is man’s only abiding place.

     Sidney Bergeron was born in New Orleans in 1876, a descendant of a prominent Southern family. For the past four years, Marksville had claimed him as its own,--as a citizen, at once active in church business and social affairs. Mr. Beregron was well-known throughout our parish, having covered local territory as traveling salesman for various New Orleans’ firms for a number of years. For the past two years he was affiliated with the Marksville Wholesale Grocery Co., and his duties as manager of this company were discharged in an able, praise worthy manner. It may be said that Mr. Bergeron (one line missing) a son, ever dutiful and loving’ to his widow (Bernadette Perez) the remembrance of days filled with companionship, sympathy, and love; to his brother Knights of Columbus, an example of Charity and Fraternity; and to all who claimed his friendship, a chain whose links bind with force the words—‘A Friend’.

     The remains of the deceased were conveyed to New Orleans for interment, the cortege leaving here for Bunkie at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, January 2. Prior t the departure of the cortege, special services were conducted at the home by Rev. Father Van der Putten, and a large number of sympathizing friends paid tribute to the deceased by their attendance.

     The funeral services were held in New Orleans from the home of the mother of Mr. Bergeron on Sunday, January 3rd, at 3 p.m. A large concourse of relatives and friends followed the remains to its last resting place.

      To those bereaved—we can only say—think not unkind because affliction has befallen thee, but remember, God calleth whome He loveth, and why should He not claim His own jewels to adore His home, though your own he made dreary?

“Be wise and dry

Straight way every weeping eye,

What ye lift upon the bier

Is not worth a wistful tear.

Tis an empty sear—shell—one

Out of which the pearl has gone;

The shell is here—it lies dead,

The pearl, the all, the soul has fled.”

                                           A—sympathizer,    R. B. S.


February 6, 1926

Page 1




     Mr. Fortune Callegari, a pioneer citizen of Avoyelles and resident of Cottonport, died at his home last Saturday morning, January 30 at 6 o’clock. He was 88 years, 6 months and 4 days old. The funeral took place at High Mass, Church of Assumption, Cottonport, at 9 o’clock Monday morning, February 1, and interment was made in the family of the local cemetery of that place.

     The deceased is survived by one son, P. J. Callegari, three daughters, Mrs. E. J. Ducote, Mrs. V. Callegari, sisters, Mrs. S. Ducote, all residents of Cottonport.

     He will be missed by a large circle of relatives and friends, who loved and respected him.



A headless body of a baby, described as being approximately one week old was found on Garden St., Shreveport last week by a police. The body was found under a bridge and according to the coroner’s report, the body was that of a white child.


Page 7


Cottonport Items


    Fortune Callegari, an old and respected citizen of this community died at his residence Sunday morning at six o’clock at the advanced age of 88 years, 6 months and 4 days He was born in Mansura and lived here nearly all his life. Besides his wife he leaves the following to mourn his death: Sisters, Mrs. Sylvert Ducote, son, P.J. Callegari, step-son P. N. Faucheux, daughters, Mrs. Vincent Callegari, Mrs. E. J. Ducote and Miss Lilly Callegari. His funeral took place from the Catholic Church Monday morning at nine o’clock at a Requiem Mass. Rev. Father J. Girards officiating.


February 20, 1926

Page 1




     Mercedes, the infant daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Leroy Couvillion, of Alexandria, died last Thursday, February 4th after a brief illness. Her funeral took place from the Catholic Church Friday afternoon, rev. Father Girards, officiating.





Mr. Robert Chaze, aged 72 years died at the home of his nephew, S. J. Chaze in Marksville, on Monday afternoon, February 15th at 1:00 o’clock. Funeral services were conducted at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Marksville, Tuesday afternoon, February 16th at 2:00 o’clock. The body was laid to rest in the local cemetery.

The funeral was directed by Mr. A. J. Didier.




Marie Theresa Couvillion, 19 years old, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Albia Couvillion, died near our town on Tuesday, February 16 at about 9:00 p.m. Funeral services were held at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church Wednesday, Feb. 17, and interment was made in the local cemetery. Besides her parents, the deceased is survived by a number of brothers and sisters and a host of friends and relatives. The funeral directed by Mr. J. A. Didier.


February 27, 1926

Page 2




Father Leopold Van Lint, priest in charge of the Catholic church of that place was found dead in bed on Tuesday, February 23rd, after a slight illness. He was in charge of by local physicians of Bunkie who attended him a few hours before his death. Father Van Lint was found dead at 3:45 p.m. by a young boy who went to the rectory to see him.


Funeral services for the deceased leader was held Wednesday morning at 10 o’clock and burial took place under the new Catholic church which he was having erected. Bishop C. Van De Van, of the Diocese of Alexandria, officiated at the funeral, assisted by a large number of priests from churches in Central Louisiana.


Rev. Father Van Lint was a native of Belgium. He was 34 years old. He graduated from the University of Louvain, Belgium, and was ordained t the priesthood in Brussels during the late World War. He leaves a mother and several brothers.


The new church at Bunkie, which is the result of his untiring efforts as a leader was half completed at the time of his death. The pastor will be missed, not only by his congregation in Bunkie, but by the whole of Avoyelles Parish. May his soul rest in peace.


DIED at Cottonport, La., on Saturday, February 13th, 1926, at 8:45 o’clock a. m., Mrs. Frank Bamber, aged 63 years, 5 months and 5 days. Mrs. Bamber was a resident of Bordelonville, La., and was on a visit to her daughter, Mrs. Robert P. Jaunet, at Cottonport, where she was taken ill and died after a short illness. The remains were taken to Bordelonville and the funeral took place from her late residence. Interment was made in St. Peter’s Catholic Cemetery, the Rev. Father Beslar officiating.




Relatives and friends of Mrs. Max Townsend (nee Mary Tassin) formerly of Cottonport were grieved to learn of her death at San Antonio, Texas last Thursday, February 18, as the result of an automobile accident.


The remains arrived in Alexandria Friday afternoon at five o’clock and were conveyed to the residence of H. P. Tassin. Funeral services were conducted at St. Francis Xavier Cathedral, Alexandria, at 9:30 o’clock, Saturday morning, Feb. 18, and interment was made in a local cemetery of that place.


She is survived by a daughter nine months old, a mother, Mrs. L. D. Tassin, of Alexandria; three sisters, Sister Gregory, of Tulsa, Okla.; Mrs. L. J. Firmin, of Cottonport, La., and Mrs. L. J. Bergeron, of New Orleans; and five brothers, C. C. Tassin, A. E. Tassin and H. P. Tassin all of Alexandria; and W. J. Tassin of Shreveport.



Mr. & Mrs. Herman Lemoine have the heartfelt sympathy of their many relatives and friends in the loss of their cherished child, Richard, aged 3 years, who died at the family home south of town on Wednesday afternoon. Funeral services were held at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church on Thursday afternoon at 3:30 o’clock, with interment in the local Catholic Cemetery.



Page 3


Mrs. Landry M. Ducote, wife of our Police Juror from this ward died early Monday morning after suffering for several months at the age of 68 years. She died strongly fortified with the rites of the Catholic Church, and her departure from this life has cast a gloom over this community. She was truly a devoted wife, an ideal mother and a friend to everyone in distress. Besides her husband, she leaves the following to mourn her loss: daughters, Mrs. Azema Ducote and Mrs. Jules Escude, of Mansura; sons Willie, Curry, Lance, Ogden and Milburn and Herbert, of Bunkie. Her funeral took place Monday afternoon at 4 o’clock from the Catholic Church, Rev. Father Girards officiating. Accept our sincerest sympathy in your bereavement.


March 13, 1926

Page 2


Man Injured at Simmesport Dies


     After several weeks of suffering from a crushed leg received while at work on the traffic bridge across Atchafalaya River at Simmesport, C. W. Biggerstaff died from the injury at the Baptist Hospital, Alexandria last Sunday. His funeral took place Monday at 10:30 a.m. at Simmesport. The remains were conveyed from Alexandria to Simmesport by a local undertaker of that city, and funeral services were held at the Methodist Church. The deceased is survived by a wife.

March 20, 1926

Page 1


DIED—Jean Baptiste Juneau, of Mansura, aged 44 years, died at his home March 14, 1926. Funeral services were conducted at the Mansura Catholic Church March 15, and the body was laid to rest in a local cemetery of that place. He leaves a wife and two sons, mother, four sisters and five brothers. The funeral was directed by J. A. Didier.


March 27, 1926

Page 1



The death of Mr. Ernest Moncla, prominent citizen of our parish, is deeply deplored. His death occurred at the family home near Red River, on Wednesday about midnight, and the funeral services were held at the Moncla Catholic Chapel on Thursday afternoon at 4:30 p.m. The deceased is survived by his widow (nee Tema Frank) a daughter, Adele, and several sons. Those bereaved have the heartfelt sympathy of their many friends.


April 10, 1926

Page 1


Mrs. J. Darius Mayeux


Mrs. J. Darius Mayeux, (nee Leonnie Couvillion) aged 56 years, 4 months and 4 days, died at her home in Plaucheville Saturday morning, at 9 o’clock.

The deceased leaves to moure her death, her husband and seven children, Sons, S. A. Mayeux, Plaucheville; A. L. Mayeux and L. J. Mayeux, New Orleans; daughters: Mrs. Joe Lepine, Miss Alice Mayeux, Mrs. R. S. Chenevert, Plaucheville; and Mrs. H. J. Parr, New Orleans. Besides those mentioned she leaves fourteen grand children, two brothers. P. S. Couvillion, Plaucheville; E. S. Couvillion, Moreauville; one sister, Mrs. Geo. S. Gremillion, of Plaucheville, and two stepchildren, who she reared from childhood.

This good lady was a staunch Catholic and reared her whole family in that church.

Her sickness dates back for 20 years although few knew of her great suffering. She has had the best attention possible up to the time of death by her two daughters, Mrs. Lepine and Miss Alice Mayeux.

Funeral services were conducted from her late residence at Plaucheville by Rev. Father Van Haver at 2 o’clock p.m. Easter Sunday. Interment took place in the local cemetery.

To the bereaved family and relatives, sincere sympathy is offered them in their great loss.


April 24, 1926

Page 10




The skeleton of a human being was found on the bank of Red River near Echo, late Sunday afternoon. The body had evidently floated to the place where it was found, and lodged against the limb of a tree, which held it when the water receded. It was found by J. H. Garie, of Echo. Dr. Marvin Cappel, parish coroner, was notified, and Dr. Ralph Kilpatrick, acting coroner, went to Echo. He was accompanied by Deputy Shriffs Brister, Marler and Hathorn.

The acting coroner impaneled a jury and held an inquest. A verdict was rendered to the effect that the deceased came to his death by drowning. Only the torso remained, the head, legs and arms being gone consequently identification was not possible. It is believed, however, that the skeleton was that of Bud Ryland, who fell from a flat at Ferris Ferry, and was drowned in Red River, during a storm, about a year ago. Young Ryland owned the ferry at the time and was operating a flat across the river when he fell in the river about eight miles up the river from the place where the skeleton was found.

The coroner’s jury was composed of S. C. Marler, W. P. Hathorn, E. W. Kohler, E. C. Brister and O. G. Voohries. Acting coroner Kilpatrick ordered the skeleton buried on the river bank, where it was found.


May 15, 1926

Page 1




With profound sorrow we record the sad death of Mrs. (Dr.) L. Rabalais (nee Marguerite Wharton), on April 9th, of last month at the home of her sister, in Springfield, Ky.

Her remains were consigned to the Benidictine Order and interred in the cemetery of that place.

Mrs. Rabalais was married to Dr. L. Rabalais, who preceded her four years ago, several years after the Civil War.

It was while Dr. Rabalais was making his studies at Bardstown University that he met and married Miss Marguerite Wharton, who had just completed her education in the Convent of Nazareth. They made their home in Moreauville, where Dr. Rabalais enjoyed a large and successful practice.

Oh! How sad to loose one whom you have known and loved for years!

Our dear aunt Maggie, was the embodiment of all that was good and pure and she stood out boldly as a beacon light to true womanhood. The seeds of her path was strewn with glittering gold in the hearts and souls of all in her environment.

Not having been blessed with children of her own, she took into her heart and home several less fortunate and showered them the care and love of a devoted mother.

Though we do not envy her well earned rest, yet tears of love and gratitude flow hotly down our cheeks for all that lived in her and that we so fondly prized.

But to Him we must return the earthly gold and take instead this promise to His fold.

A Niece.




     Mrs. A. J. Moule, wife of A. J. Moule, the oldest traveling salesman in Louisiana died at 10:10 a. m. Thursday, May 6th, at the family residence, in the town of Bunkie, La.

     Mr. Moule has been connected with the firm of Schwartz Bros. & Co., Inc., of New Orleans, for the past thirty years.

     Funeral services were conducted on Friday morning, May 10th at 10 o’clock from St. Anthony Catholic Church, Rev. Father Plauche officiating. Interment was made in the Pythian Cemetery.

     The death of Mrs. Moule will be a shock to her many friends, as well as the family, as she was loved by all that knew her. She was a devoted wife and mother, and our heart felt sympathy is extended to the family during their hour of sorrow.

     Mrs. Moule is survived by her husband, Mr. A. J. Moule, four daughters, Mrs. A. J. Bordelon, of San Antonio, Texas; Mrs. R. L. Laird, of Alexandria, La. & Misses Annette and Juilet of Bunkie, and two sons, N. A. and J. A. Moule, of Bunkie; three sisters and one brother.






May 22, 1926

Page 1




Mrs. N. J. Berlin, of Alexandria, sister of Mr. A. W. Laborde, of Marksville, died on last Saturday morning at 3:15 p.m. Funeral services were held at Alexandria Saturday at 4:30. Interment was made in a local cemetery of that city. She is survived by her husband, 4 daughters, two sons, seven brothers, three sisters and a large number of other relatives throughout Avoyelles parish.


Page 8




The death of Mrs. Alcide Mayeux, of Belledeau, occurred, on Thursday, May 6th. The deceased is survived by two married daughters and a host of friends who mourn her loss.


May 20, 1926

Page 1




     Mrs. Zenon Bordelon, who had been a resident of Red Fish, was buried Sunday, May 23rd at Moreauville. The funeral service was conducted by Rev. Father H. Jacquemia. Her death occurred on Saturday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Bill Ortego, after a severe illness of seventeen days.

     The deceased was 78 years of age at her death. She was a devoted Catholic, loved and honored by all who knew her.

     She leaves to mourn her untimely death five children, twenty-one grand children and twenty-eight great grand children, Daughters; Mrs. Leonard Couvillion, Red Fish; Mrs. Bill Ortego, Hamburg; Sons; Prudent Bordelon, Bordelonville; Volka Bordelon, Simmesport and Augustin Bordelon, Plaucheville.

     Permit us to join in your grief. We pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of their bereavement, and leave them only the cherished memory of the solemn pride that ? be theirs to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of Freedom.



June 5, 1926

Page 1




     In the passing away of this notable subject the 14th of May, we regret to have noted so little publicity and notoriety which he received and this paper pleads guilty to this oversight.

     While the old gentleman was of a foreign nationality and his ways very simple—a mark contrast wit the ideals of the present day American citizen, yet it must be admitted that the fortune which he acquired, millions of which has been and will be spent in this parish and State, a fortune which was gained as a result of his geniuses, indefatigable energy and frugality, a mention of appreciation by the various newspapers of the country should have occupied the front pages.

   In our humble opionion, Mr. Edenborn has done more for Avoyelles Parish than any single man. Twenty-five years he ran a trunk railroad diagonally through Avoyelles, traversing sections which were heretofore devoid of rail facilities. In rerouting his road from Moreauville across the Atchafalaya at Simmesport, we will soon see in operation a combined rail and traffic bridge across that stream, which will stand as a monumental credit to Avoyelles, Louisiana, and the Nation. This bridge will be the connecting link of one portion of the State with another and such a project when pushed to consummation, will be the fruits of Mr. Edenborn’s progressive ideas. His assets are varied in this parish and state and the taxes for the purpose of operating our institutions and Government are largely derived from his holdings.

     We have been often told of his likeness for Avoyelles and loyalty to its ?. We noted with pleasure where five of our prominent citizens were selected by the management of the railroad as honorary pallbearers to his funeral on the 16th of May. With Mrs. Edenborn elected as head of the L. R. & N. system, with the other hands of the road retained, we feel confident that everything will proceed as usual. This paper wished to go on record to have deplored the death of a man so useful to a parish—giving employment to so many of our people to a character so tenacious and who would have wished to witness the completion of the Atchafalaya bridge, which will stand forever a monument in his industry.



June 12, 1926

Page 1


Important Case Tried In Court This Week


     The suit of Tesca Guillot of Bunkie Vs. the Texas & Pacific Rwy. Co., for damages in the sum of $35,575 is being tried this week. This suit is the result of the Texas and Pacific train No. 23 running over a one mule wagon  in which the two sons of Mr. Guillot, one 14 years of age and the other 6 were occupying the wagon, and causing the death of one of the boys and serious injuring the other. The plaintiff is represented by Attorneys S. Allen Bordelon and Wade Normand. The defendant is represented by Peterman, Deer, and Peterman  of Alexandria.


June 12, 1926

Page 2




     MR. ADOLPH Z. CHATELAIN died last Wednesday, at his home two miles from Mansura at the age of 83 years and 5 months. His funeral was held at Requiem High Mass, Thursday morning and his remains buried by the side of his wife and son in the Mansura Cemetery.

     In the passing of Adolph “Zed” Chatelain, the parish lost a good and substantial citizen; a man of sterling qualities and upright character. He always stood for improvement and progress and had served a term on the Parish School Board.

     In 1861 as a young man of 18, he enlisted as a soldier of the “Lost Cause” and served constantly and valiantly for three years and eight months. He served throughout the struggle in the Cavalry of the army of Tennessee and saw action at Murfreesboro Chicamauga and other historic engagements. Later in the war he was detailed as a member of the famous Morgan’s men who raided and harassed the border states of Ohio and Indiana. These maurading parties struck many an effective blow for the cause of the Confederacy. When the war ended, his detail surrendered at Gamesville Georgia.

     It is due to chronicle briefly his war career. It was his pride and the memory of the struggle and its many privations never ceased to inspire him and to broaden his viewpoint of life.

     And on Confederate Memoral Day his body was consigned to earth. May his soul join those of his comrades who fell by his side in combat and forever enjoy the glory and reward prepared for them by the great Commander.

     Peace to his ashes.


July 3, 1926

Page 1


Cottonport Personals


     A death which caused unusual regrets in Plaucheville as well as in this community, was that of Miss Delphine Dufour, the young and accomplished daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Alfred Dufour of Plaucheville. The untimely death of this young lady was the result of an operation in Alexandria, where she died Saturday and was buried Sunday at 3 o’clock from the Catholic Church, Rev. Father S. J. Dekewer officiating. She had just graduated from the convent in the latter part of May and while there, made a brilliant record in her studies. Father Dekewer in his remarks at the funeral, paid her a glory tribute for  the noble and exemplary life she led. She was only nineteen years old at the time of her death and we join her many friends in tendering her mother, father and numerous relatives our sincere sympathy in their bereavement. She was a valued member of the Catholic Daughters of America and the Children of Mary and they attended the funeral in a body. Many from Marksville and Cottonport were also in attendance.


     Alexandria, La., June 25—Sims Ducote, 25 years old, died in New Orleans Saturday. His body was brought to Alexandria Sunday afternoon and interred in the Greenwood Memorial Park. He was born at Cottonport, Avoyelles Parish and was a son of Mr. & Mrs. L. R. Ducote, of this city. Besides his parents he is survived by his wife and a young son. He also leaves the following sisters and brothers: Mrs. R. M. Smith, Louisville, Ky., Mrs. Al Rogas, New Orleans, Mrs. W. I. Draper, Atlanta, Ga., Mrs. S. O. Whitehouse and Miss Mercia Ducote, Alexandria; Lee J., Wittey M., Moore R., Marks J., Abby A., Charles S., and Reuben J. Ducote.




     GREMILLION—In Alexandria, La., at 1:30 o’clock p.m., on Saturday, June 26, 1926, Lester Gremillion, aged 16 years. The deceased was a son of L. C. Gremillion, of Plaucheville, and was taken to Alexandria for medical treatment. He is survived by his parents.

     The body was prepared by undertakers of Alexandria and conveyed to Plaucheville, where the funeral took place Sunday afternoon at 3 o’clock.



     LACOMBE—At his residence, Echo, Rapides parish, La., on Wednesday, June 23, 1926, J. B. Lacombe, Sr., aged 82 years. The death of the deceased was sudden. He was born in the Echo community and had lived there all his life.

     He is survived by the following children: John, Alfred and Lucian Lacombe and Mrs. H. Kohlar, all of Echo.

     His funeral took place on Thursday morning, June 24, at 9 o’clock. Services were conducted at the Catholic church at Echo, after which interment was made in the Echo Cemetery.


     DUFOUR—At the family residence, 1501 Fifteenth St., Alex, La., at 1:30 o’clock p. m., on Wednesday, June 23, 1926, Mrs. E. E. Dufour. She was born and reared at Long Bridge, but had been a resident of Alexandria fro twelve years. Besides her husband, she is survived by four daughters, and one son. They are: Mrs. W. J. Moreau, of Natchitoches; Misses Verna, Sable and Elnor Dufour and P. L. Dufour, all of Alexandria.

     Funeral services for the deceased were held Thursday morning at 9:15 o’clock from St. Francis Xavier’s catholic Cathedral, Alexandria, after which interment was made in the Greenwood Memorial Park of that city.




     Plaucheville, La., June 30—This community was shocked at the news of the death of Miss Delphine Dufour daughter of J. A. Dufour of Plaucheville. The summons came after a brief illness following an operation for appendicitctis.

     The deceased was born on April 5, 1906 and died at 2:20 Saturday morning, June 26, 1926.

     Her death has removed from this community a seldom known model of all Christian virtues. To have known her was to have loved the quiet, modest and unassuming friend of all.

     Her life was one in perfect accordance wit the true Christian idea of what a good Catholic believed. God was satisfied wit her use of the talents given her and He called her to her reward. At the time of her death, Delphine was a member of the Catholic Daughters of America, President of the Children of Mary and a member of the Sacred Heart League.

     God demanded a great sacrifice of the parents and relatives when He called her home and such was born with true Christian resignation; God cannot but bless such submission to His holy decree.


July 10, 1926

Page 1


Charles Howard Ends Own Life


     The people of Alexandria were shocked last week to learn of the sudden death of Charles H. Howard. A prominent and popular business man of this city, who took his own life, by shooting himself in the head wit a single-barrel shotgun. Death was almost instantaneous.

     According to his friends, Mr. Howard had been very despondent recently, and his act is attributed to this cause. The unfortunate tragedy occurred at the family home, 1305 Monroe street, about 1 p.m., just after Mr. Howard and members of his family had finished the noon meal.

     Charles H. Howard was a native of Moreauville, Avoyelles parish, where he was born in 1868. He lived a greater portion of his life in his native parish. For twenty-two years he was a traveling salesman for a New Orleans firm.

     About ten years ago he moved to Alexandria, and for a time was connected with the Avoyelles Wholesale Grocery Company, and later with the Alexandria Flour and Feed Company. At the time of his death he was in charge of the coffee and rice department of the Rapides Grocery Company.

     Charley Howard, as he was familiarly known to his friends, was possessed of a genial and kindly disposition, and made friends of all with whom he came in contact. He was universally popular, and his untimely passing is deeply regretted.

     Deceased is survived by his wife, who was Miss Lassie Moore, of Tennessee. He also leaves two sisters, Mrs. John Otnott and Mrs. L. Cannon, of New Orleans.

     He was a Mason and a member of the Methodist church. His body was conveyed to Bunkie and laid to rest by the side of his mother and father, in the Bunkie cemetery. The funeral took place at 4 o’clock, Saturday, July 3rd—Town Talk.


July 10, 1926

Page 3




     Plaucheville, La.—This community deeply deplores the death of Mrs. Elphege Couvillion, who died at her home here on Tuesday, July 6th at the age of 80 years. The deceased was a true Christian woman, charitable and loved by all who knew her. The funeral took place in Plaucheville on Wednesday, July 7th at 2 o’clock and the remains were laid to rest in the local cemetery witnessed by a large number of relatives and friends. She is survived by the following children: Mmes. Leo Rabalais and Mercella Bordelon’ Messrs. P. O. Couvillion, J. O. Couvillion, U. S. Couvillion, P. L. Couvillion and G. B. Couvillion.


July 17, 1926

Page 1




     On Monday night, July 5th at 10:45 o’clock death claimed from this earth a true and honored woman, Mrs. P. E. Couvillion at Plaucheville, Louisiana. Around her bedside to sooth the pangs of dissolution stood only her son J. B. Couvillion and wife. The last minute was peaceful and resigned, although possessed of her mental faith.

     The beginning of her life to the hour of death is as an open book—search it as you will and not a spot of blur will you find to lower the very high moral standard of this good and noble woman. She was prominently the true type of a devoted wife, kind mother and a friend indeed to all who had occasion to know her. Her death is the loss of an admiring though sorrowing community.

     For eight years the deceased occupied in

Avoyelles and Lafayette Parishes, a place equal to that of the best citizen.

     Mrs. Couvillion was the mother of fourteen children, seven of whom are still living. They are: Oscar Couvillion, Baton Rouge; Mrs. Leo Rabalais, Plaucheville; P. O. Couvillion, Simmesport; P. L. Couvillion and Mrs. Marcelin Bordelon, Bordelonville; J. B. Couvillion, Plaucheville; U. S. Couvillion, Simmesport; and one orphan child who she reared.

     Before her marriage her name was Eugenie Lemoine, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Marcelin Lemoine.

     The attendance at her funeral proved the love the community had for her. Funeral services were conducted by the Rev. Father Dekewer, who delivered a beautiful sermon. The deceased was a life long member of the Ladies Altar Society.




     In New York City, on Friday, July 9th , 1926, death claimed as its own a loved and loving, son, brother and friend, Osma J. Coincon, son of Mr. & Mrs. Arthur Coincon of Long Bridge, Louisiana, who died where manhood’s morning almost touches noon, and while the shadows still were falling toward the west.

     Osma was in the prime of life, where one has not yet passed on life’s highway the stone that marks the highest point. By hard work and patient waiting he had won for himself a position and respect among his friends which may well be termed high.

     As a Sugar Chemist and Manufacturer he ranked high among his profession, and he held the confidence and esteem of all who he came in contact with, and especially, was his services and ability highly regarded by the interest which he represented in Cuba; evidenced by  their kindness and generosity in the last days of his life and by their confidence in him by entrusting him with the management of several factories in Cuba.

     “Life is a narrow vale between the cold and barren peaks of two eternities. We strive in vain to look beyond the heights. We cry aloud, and the only answer is the echo of our wailing cry. He was weary for a moment, he lay down by the wayside, and using his burden for a pillow, fell into that dreamless sleep that kisses down the eyelids still. While yet in love with life and raptured with the world, he passed to silence and pathetic dust.”