AVOYELLES PELICAN NEWSPAPER, Marksville, La.  March 16, 1861 – Jan. 16, 1864.


(Transcribed by Ellen Dauzat)




1861: Mar. 23 – Sept. 28

1862: Mar. 15, 22, Sept. 27

1863: Jan. 21 – Mar. 7

           Mar. 28 – Apr. 11

           Apr. 25 – June 27

           July 11 – Dec. 26 (one mutilated issue is probably Dec. 12)

1864: Jan. 2, 9



March 16, 1861 p. 1


Death of Mrs. S. G. Davidson—Our city is in mourning as we write at the sudden and unexpected death of Mrs. Davidson, wife of Hon. T. G. Davidson. She died at the family residence on Wednesday night after a few hours illness, supposed to be from apoplexy. She was endeared to a large circle of acquaintances on account of noble and generous qualities of head and heart. (B. R. Advocate)




Oct. 5, 1861 p. 2




   Dimanche 29 septembre 1861, a 5 heures et demie du matin, Gustave Grémillion, fils aine de François Grémillion et d’Eugénie Dufour, a l’age de 21 ans 1 mois et 7 jours.

   Après une longue et souffrante-maladie et malgre les plus grands soins, la mort est venue enlever Gustave du sein de sa famille desolee, au moment ou il ne gaisait quentrer dans la vie. Doue de toutes les plus belles vertus, il s’etait deja acquis un grand nombre d’amis qu’il laisse sur cette terre pur pleurer sa mort. Il avait su deja s’attorer l’esto,e de tpit ;e ,pmde et ses a,os omcpmsp;ab;es garderpmt tpikpirs dams leurs coeure son souvenir ineffaceable. Puisse son ame degage aller a cote de celui qui l’appelle, afin de jouir du bonheur eternal as sejour des bienheureux.   A. M. G.




   Samedi, 28 septembre, a l’âge de 45 ans environ, Collin, ne en Lorraine, France. La compagnie des Chasseurs a pied a rendu Les honneurs militaries a la depouille de ce brave et laborieux ouvrier.




   Mardi, ler octobre, a l’âge de 40 ans environ, Mlle Claverie, native du midi de la France!----Helas, c’etait la seconde fois qu’elle avait quitte sa patrie pur venir voir sa famille qui habite les Avoyelles, et quand elle s’est sentie frappee a mort, elle a rendu piensement son dernier soupir a Dieu, saus murmurer contre le destin qui ne voulait pas que sou corps puisse reposer au sein de sa terre natale.




   Le 3 october, a l’âge de 51 ans, Paulin Bordelon.

  Ill laisse pour deplorer sa mort des enfants inconsolables et des amis qui regretteront long temps la perte qu’ils viennent de faire en las personne de Paulin Bordelon, un des citoyens les plus estimes de notre paroisse.




 Oct. 12, 1861 p. 1




  On Thursday the 10th inst., Prudent D’Artlys, in the 41st year of his age. He was a native of Normandy, France.

   M. B. breathed his last after a very short illness. He was the proprietor of this paper, and his loss will be severely felt by his family. The French press of Louisiana loses, also, in him one of its oldest members.


Oct. 26, 1861 p. 1




   On the 27th of September last, at Culpepper Courthouse, Va., SIMON HENDERSON TAYLOR, aged 21 years.



Simon H. Taylor.


   SIMON HENDERSON TAYLOR was born in Avoyelles, on the 29th day of June 1840, and has always resided in our midst, except when absent for the purpose of persueing his education. He was prepared for college at the High School of Prof. Lafargue, in Marksville, and, early in 1859 he entered the Sophomore class in the University of North Carolina, where he quietly pursued his studies until the spring of the present year. Then the political storm, which had been gathering for years, culminated, and, sweeping in fury, over the land, forever severed the bonds which bound our once proud Republic together. The tocsin of war broke the stillness, which had heretofore reigned over our hills and valleys; and every breeze from the North wafted to our ears the clang of arms, and the noise of energetic preparations to lay the fair fields of the Southern States in waste, and to rob their happy people of their God-given rights. Then the call to arms rang in clarion notes through the utmost bounds of our Confederacy, and thousands of our chivalrops sons of the South, with characteristic ardor rushed to the rescue.

   Among the first who tendered their the lamented deceased, he, together with the other Louisianians at the University, long before, North Carolina seceded, held a meeting, at which strong southern resolutions were adopted, heartily approving the course which our State had taken, and offering the services of the gallant boys to Gov. Moore. These resolutions were published in all the prominent journals of our State, and are significant from the fact that the sentiments of youths are apt to be colored by those of the community in which they live. The people of the old North State were then in favor of the Union, and Simon Taylor had been among them during the whole secession movement; but there was not hesitating, no cooperation about him—the ring the true metal was there, and he openly and boldly avowed himself in favor of the independent course, which the cotton States land adopted.

   Soon, however, the brave North Carolina’s were awakened to the treachery of the Lincoln government, and almost unanimously cast their lot with their Southern brethren. Immediately, the boys of the University---foremost among which was the subject of this sketch---organized a company, and tendered their services to Gov. Ellis; but, at the urgent solicitation of president Swain, the Governor refused to accept them, the President of the University alleging that the session had almost closed and he thought it best for the young men, under his charge, to return home, and then enlist with the full knowledge and approbation of their parents.

   He graduated, and, about the 10th of June last, returned home, from which he had been absent three full years, but scarcely remained long enough to greet the warm friends of his boyhood. The country needed his services, and he was not one who could prove a laggard of such an hour. He enlisted in Capt. Pratts Company from St. Landry, which formed a part of the 8th La. Regiment, under Col. Kelly, and was immediately ordered on to assist in protecting Virginia, whose hallowed grounds the Northern Vandals were preparing to invade.

   From the very outset, however, misfortune seemed to follow in the footsteps of the deceased. Soon after his arrival at Mannasas, he fell sick with the measles, and was sent to Culpepper Court House to be treated. His health improved, and he promptly returned to duty, but relapsed, and was again sent to Culpepper. After his convalescence he was detailed as a guard to conduct some prisoners to Richmond, and was then taken with typhoid fever. He lingered until the 27th of September, when “Death came and pressed his weary lids, and brought his sick heart rest.”

   Mournfully the sad intelligence broke upon our quiet village, and passed from one to another in whispered accents. If he had an enemy among us, he lurked in secret, for there was a universal expression of sincere heartfelt sorrow over his early death. Possessed of a fine education and a vigorous constitution, no young man in our community had brighter prospects before him, and doubtless the future often cheered his heart with glowing visions of a long life of happiness and usefulness. But he is gone. Death---that relentless king before whom the whole human race must bow touched his warm heart with his icy hand, and the gentle spirit, shrinking from his presence left its earthly home forever. A bright light has faded from the family circle at the old homestead, where his aged parents and bereaved sisters mingle their tears over his early grave; but his relatives are not alone in their grief, for a host of devoted friends will ever mourn the loss and fondly cherish the memory of the gallant Simon Taylor.




Nov. 2, 1861 p. 2




   A Marksville, le ler Nov. a 5 heurs du soir, EUGÈNE LUDOVIC, fils de fend d’Artlys et de Arsene Roubleau.

   Le seul enfant que Dieu leur avait donne a suivi de bien pres Je pere lans la tomte.Il est mort a l’age de deux ans et neif moie.



   A la Rivière Rouge, Jeudi 24 octobre, a l’âge de 4 ans 1 mois, JULES F. DUCOTÉ, fils de J. C. Dubote et de Sidonia Couvillion.

   Cette perte est bien cruelle pour les parents. Le Ciel ne leur avait donne que ce sent fils.




Nov. 9, 1861 p. 1




   In Marksville, on the evening of the 6th. Inst., Mrs. Angela Barbin, wife of Dr G. E. Elmer. She was in the 42the year of her age.




   It is always painful to surviving friends to have to record the death of those whom Providence calls away; but it is still more so when we are called upon to pay tribute to the memory of a wife and mother. Friends may sympathise in the grief that overshadows the hearts of a bereaved husband and tender offsprings, and this distil through their reflections the soothing oil of consolation; but still there remains the weight of sorrows hanging about the heart which nothing but the bright hopes of the Christian religion can remove.

   Not very many days have passed since an aged mother was called to her heavenly home by the voice of her maker, and scarcely had she been received into that “house not made with hands eternal in the heavens,” here a long afflicted daughter was transferred with her from this world of trials, tribulations and sorrows, into that better cline where the “wicked cease from troubling and the weary are at rest.” Mrs. Angela Elmer, was the daughter of the late Judge Barbin of this parish, and of the late deceased Mrs. Cailleteau. In May A. D. 1838 she was united in marriage with our fellow citizen the respected and distinguished Dr. G. E. Elmer. The rewards of this marriage were seven children two sons of who preceded her by some years to the spirit land. As the remaining five grew apace toward ages of maturity, the icy hand of death was laid upon her. The disease under which she suffered for long months pointed to but one sad result, for it has ever been pronounced an approhrium of the great medical art. Her companion exhausted all remedies with which after many years of laborious researches, he was acquainted and finally took her to New Orleans for the purpose of having her treated by the great Aesculapius of modern times. After thorough examination it was found that she was beyond the reach of art, and she returned home to linger out a few remaining days with there interesting family and friends, and to draw the “curtains of the grave about her and to die.” Before death had entirely paralyzed her faculties she spoke pathetically of her patriotic son Edmond with when the toesin of revolutionary war was the first sounded, went promptly forth to the remotest borders of the Confederacy to defend its rights and honor. She called his name and with a mother’s invocations committed him to the God of battles. But her generous heart was rapidly ceasing to beat, her vision becoming be dimmed, and the immortal soul of an affectionate sister, generous friend, a faithful wife and a kind mother escaped its prison-house, of along suffering disease and death, to rest at last in everlasting peace. She died on the 6th inst., at peace wit the dreary world through which she has passed, and with bright hopes of a full fruition of all the promises of the Christian’s Bible. This ended a weary pilgrimage of forty- two years.

   Let us tender to her surviving companion who for thirty five years has toiled without ceasing to make himself useful, and a benefactor to our people, our unfeigned sympathies in this the hour of his direst tribulations! Whilst to his interesting offspring we point out the virtues of female character that so long and constantly adorned the life of their departed mother, as examples worthy of their imitation.     E. N. C.




Dec. 14, 1861 p. 1




   This noble young soldier was the second son of our fellow citizen, the Hon. A. M. Gray. He was born in the parish of Point Coupee, on Sunday the 21st day of August A. D. 1842. Subsequently ?    ?   moved to this parish where he now resides. Ruffin was sent to the Marksville High School soon after it was established and remained there arduously pursuing his studies under the supervision of Prof. A. Lafargue. Whilst he remained in this institution, he was known and respected as one of the most exemplary boys that ever cheered the ? of a parent. His teachers admired him for his docility and gentleness, whilst his comrades loved him for his proverbial amiability and gentlemanly deportment. He was possessed of a fine, mind and, had he been permitted to reach maturer years would have shown him self capable of great usefulness in the civil walks of life, as he proved patriotic in the army of the Confederacy.

   During the year of 1860 he became a cadet I the Military Academy at Alexandria, and while there displayed the same qualities of the head and heart, as had distinguished him at the Marksville High School. At the end of the year he returned home having acquired a considerable knowledge of military tactics.

   In the ? of a few months war broke out between the remnant of the United States and the Southern Confederacy. Ruffin had completed his eighteenth year and felt his services. When Capt. L. A. Stafford, of Rapides was making up his company, Rufflin bade when he could set out for the seat of war. This last night this noble boy spent at home he sat up until very late assisting his sister in making a small flag for his individual use. On its little folds she inscribed these words: “Come on home.” On his way to enlist, he was successful in getting two recruits to join him. He went on immediately to Virginia ? he remained in active services until smitten by the ruthless had of disease and death.

   The following is Capt. Stafford’s letter to his father.

                      Manassas, Va. Nov. 28th 1861.

          HON. A. M. GRAY,

   Dear Sir—It is my painful duty to inform you of the death of your noble son Ruffin. He died yesterday morning about 10 o’clock very suddenly. He had been complaining for some time of a little fever but was most all the time knocking about the camps and taking a little medicine. The day before he died, he reported himself for duty and superintended the hauling of wood for our camp. He was perhaps imprudent that day and night and ate too much. Hew was taken ill in the nigh again, and next morning was standing by the fire getting one of his mess-mates to make him some tea; complaining of being chilly, and said he had had a chill in the night when he was taken suddenly ill---was immediately taken to his tent and died in ten minutes. When I returned from a Court Martial I found my noble boy a corpse. I was too much shocked to describe my feelings. He was a true specimen of the chivalrie and brave youths of the South. I would to God! I had consolation to offer you and your family. I can only say he died in a noble cause on the tented field ready and anxious to fight for his country. Noble boy! If he had any faults I never discovered them. All the company loved and respected him. He was buried this morning with the honors of war, on a beautiful high hill where I buried two others of my company. They have been taken home since. His name is roughly cut on a rock, which is at his head. He lies buried about three and half miles from Manassas at a M. John Wells. I must conclude by offering you my heart-felt sympathy at your irreparable loss.

        Your sincere friend.

                    L. A. Stafford.


   P. S.  We are expecting a fight everyday and should get in an engagement rest assured my dear friend. I will revenge your boy’s death to some extent.

L. A. S.

   This tribute in respect throughout is well worthy of the generous heart of Capt. Stafford, and it is one which never would have been bestowed had it not been merited by the young soldier. Other letters were received announcing his unexpected and untimely death, and all breathe the same spirit as to his noble qualities. Among them is one from Lieut. Frank A. Kittel who was in no way connected with the Company of Stafford Guards, and one, from one of his fellow soldiers of that company Desolive Couvillion.

   It should be consoling to the wounded feelings of his surviving parents and friends to know that he had performed all of his duties well to the last, and that he went to a soldier’s grave wept and honored. Fond memories will linger about the name of Ruffin Gray and when the story of the present war shall be told, such devotion and such names as his will endear our freedom to us, and make us proud of the land and clime where such heroes are born. All honor to the name and memory of the brave and chivalrous Ruffin Gray!

E. N. C.




Dec. 21, 1861 p. 1




   In Mansura, on the 13th December, MARIE LOUISE JOFFRION, wife of A. Saucier, aged 19 years and 25 days.

   LOUISE gone forever and is now lingering in the silent chambers of Eternity. What a consolation it is to know that she passed along to go to her eternal grave, without dread, without sins and with a hope overwhelmed with joy to knock at the silent waiting-hall of eternal happiness.        Joe.




Dec. 21, 1861 p. 1




   Died in Moreauville, on Saturday morning December 14th ROSA, second child of ANATOLE COCO and CLARISSE COCO, aged 2 years and three months.


No bitter tears for thee be shed.

Blossom of being! Seen and gone!

With flowers alone we strew the bed,

O b’est departed one!

Whose all of life, a rosy ray.

Blushed into dawn, and passed away.


Yes thou are fled, ere guilt had power

To stain they cherub soul and form,

Closed is the soft ephemeral flower,

That never felt a storm!

The sunbeam’s smile, the zephyr’s breath

All that it knew from birth to death


Thou wert so like a form of light,

That heaven benignly called thee hence.

Ere yet the world could breathe one blight

O’er thy sweet innocence;

And thou, that brighter home to bless,

Art passed, with all thy loveliness!


Oh ! hadst’ thou still on earth remained,

Vision of beauty! Fair as brief!

How soon thy brightness had been stained.

With passion or with grief!

Now not a sullying breath can rise,

To dim thy glory in the skies.


Thy grave shall be a blessed shrine,

Adorned with nature’s brightest wreath,

Each glowing season shall combine

Its incense there to breathe;

And oft,upon the midnight air.

Shall viewless harps be murmuring there.


And oh! Sometimes in visions blest,

Sweet spirit! Visit our repose.

And bear from thine own world of rest,

Some balm for human woes !

What form more lovely could be given

Than thine, to messenger of heaven?

                    S. L. C.



Jan. 4, 1862 p. 2




   Décédé au Bayou des Glaize, le 28 decembre dernier. Mme FÉLIÇIEN GRÉMILLION, nee AZÉMA MAYEUX, agee de 36 ans.

   C’est bien une verite que cette parole de l’Ecriture: An milien de la vinous somas dans la mort. Une famille a qui Dien avat accorde ses plas grandes faveurs s’est trouvee tout a coupplongee dans le denil et la consternation. Samedi matin, une femme jenne encore, entouree de son espoux et de sans interessants enfants, se livrait aux soins du ménage, lorsque le terrible messager est venu la frapper soulainemnet et la ravir a la terre. A cette nouvelle inattendue, la contree s’est emne et chaena s’est eerie: Que sommes-nous, o mon Dieu, ? Pauve. Anemn! ? vieux auterus de tes jours ne in presse rout plus contre leur sein qui conservait encore assez de ehaleur pourt’y rechamlfer. Fon espouse et tes enfants ne te verront plus aupres d’eus et cependant ils t’estimainent tant! Mais il t’a faliu partinl il t’a fallu obeir aux decret eternals.

   Mme Féliçien Grémillion fill un des plus respectables eitoyens de notre paroisee. M. Augustin Mayeux, est morte a l’âge de 36 ans et nul ne pouvait pressentifr sa fin premature. Elle emporte dan la tombe les regrets de tous ceux quir, comme celui qui lui consaereees lignes, out conu et apprecie ses vertus. Elle etait l’orgueil d’un bon pere et d’une bonne mere qui seront consoles a la pensee qu elle vit dans une vie meilleure; et son epoux et ses enfants ne tronveront-ils pas. Eux aussi, un soulage-ment a leur douleur, une treve a leurs larmes? Oui le Dieu plein de misericorde la leur envierra d’en haut.

    P. P. N.            Avoyelles 2 janvier 1862.




Jan. 11, 1862 p. 2


RIXE RATALE A VILLE PLATE—Samedie dernier etnit jour de revune a Ville Plate. Und des fils de M. HYPOLITE FONTENOT, ainsie que quelques-un des sos amis avaient trop souvent bu, et las manuvaise idée leur vint nous dit on, de se render maitres du café de M. John Garaud, et de’en chaser le proprietaire. L’infortune jeune Fontenot et Garand en etaut venus aux mains, celuis-ci frappa Fontenot de son couteau, et lui fit des blessures don’t il est mort Mardi dernier. Voila done, en un mot, ou condusisent les exces de la boisson

   On assure que M. Garand a simplemnet agi a corps defendant.

(Courier des Opelousas.)




Feb. 1, 1862 p. 1




   In Marksville,on the 30th ult. Of pneumonia, MRS. FABIUS RICORD, aged 21 years.

   The deceased was a young and highly esteemed resident of our town, loved by a husband and by all whose good fortune it was to enjoy her friendship.


“Alight has from our household gone;

A voice we loved is stilled;

A place is vacant at our hearth

Which never can be filled

A gentle heart, that throbbed but now

With tenderness and love.

Has hushed its weary throbbing here.

To throb in bliss above.

Yes, to the home where the angels are,

Her trusting soul has fled.

And yet we bend above her tomb

With tears, and call her dead.

We call her dead, but O! we know

She dwells where living waters flow.”





Feb. 22, 1862 p. 1


Homicide---It is too often our painful duty to record bloody scenes that take place in our little village, and today we are adding a very melancholy one to the list already too long. On Saturday last, at about one o’clock in the evening, Joseph A Cocke, a well known planter of Bayou Jack, formerly of Red River in this Parish, and Augustin Deshautelle, a member of the Marksville District Militia Company, met in front of Paul Michel’s Coffee House. They exchanged but a few harsh words when at a distance of about four paces they instantly resorted to their weapons. According to the general version of the affair, Cocke fired twice with his revolver, and Desheautelle replied by firing once with his double barreled gun, loaded with shot lodging all the deathly contents in the right breast of C., who one minute afterwards fell a corpse upon the coffee house’s gallery.

   Desheautelle delivered himself up to the authorities, and on Tuesday last, Honorable E. N. Cullom after hearing the depositions of numerous witnesses of the fatal encounter, admitted Desheautelle to furnish bail in the sum of $2,500 for his appearance at the next Criminal Court.




March 1, 1862 p. 1




   Died on Tuesday, the 25th inst., at his father’s residence, in this Parish, MARÇELIN GRÉMILLION, aged 17 years.

   Death is ever an unwelcome visitor: but when he calls a youth all the very threshold of manhood into his dread domains, naught can soothe the lacerated heart of parents and friends, save the knowledge that the departed is happier in another and better world.

   May this balm heal the sorrow of the afflicted on the present occasion!  



   Died in Alexandria, La., on the 15th inst., JAMES A WARNER, formerly Editor of the Central Organ.



   Died at Natchitoches, La., on the 18th inst., E. LEGENDRE. Editor of the Union published at that place.



May 17,1862   p. 1


Open Resistence To The Law.

The Militia Under Arms.


   There has been for a long time among our population a party adverse to the accepted institutions of our country. That party was daily gaining found, and it ??  ??(part of paper missing) they would stand better chances in opposing the working of our State organization. Its number reached from 100 to 150, it is said, and we have already seen some of them at work.

   They had lately one or two illicit meetings in the vicinity of our village, and there resistence to orders emanating from our military authorities had been discussed, when an event created a burst of their whole scheme and required the military display we have witnessed this week throughout the whole parish.

  A party of Militia men composed of Capt. E. Joffrion, Scott Gray, Cyriaque Gaspard, Orfila Normand and Collins, acting under orders from Col. Cheney, proceeded early on last Sunday moving to the residence of Mrs. Masters, near Marksville, and there arrested a man by the name of James Dever just from New Orleans. They met with no resistance from him, but while they were waiting for the prisoner who was going to take his breakfast, came in Wm. Edwards, T. Jeff Edwards, Ant. Denis and P. Battel who interfered in the matter of the arrestation. Both parties were armed with guns and revolvers and they immediately resorted to the free use of them. The fight became general and CYRIAQUE GASPARD, a young man of great promise, fell dead while he was aiming his gun at the aggressors. Scott Gray, a noble heart and an ardent patriot, got seriously wounded in several places, three balls being still in his body. On the aggressors side, WM. EDWARDS, T. J. Edwards and Ant. Denis were wounded, the former seriously are we told. During the frightful scene, Dever took sides against the representatives of order, and after having shot his revolver several times he made good his escape in the direction of Foulk’s Landing. Such is, in a short sketch, the event that has thrown so many families into sorrow and desolation and created so general an indignation among our people.

   Our Military authorities called together the Militia Regiment and explored the regions where they thought the guilty parties had fled to. None yet have been found, and there is no other arrestation than that of some twelve men of minor guilt, probably, and whose cases have not yet been examined.

   We will closely watch the course of events, and, in the meantime, we are in hopes that those whose minds have been deluded will return to a better sense of their duties, and then, acting in a concert, we the people of Avoyelles will deserve the imperishable honor of having helped a cause so dear, so patriotic and which will at the end, come out undoubtedly triumphant.




May 17, 1862 p. 2




   A Marksville, le Dimane ‘e 11 mai 1862 CYRIAQUE GASPARD a l’age de 21 ans et 9 mois.

   Quelle eprenve pour une si bonne famille! Perdre un fils bien a me et le perdre d’me  maniere si terrible et si inattenduo! Pendant que son frere eneillait des lanriers dans les plaines de Corinth, Cyrique tombart  martyr de la cause de  del’order dans sa paroisse natale. Ses coneitoyens l onoreront sa memoire et les jeunes vierges den Avoyelles semeront des fleurs sur son tombeau.




May 31, 1862 p. 1




   Died at Corinth, Miss., on the 2nd, of May ultimate, AUGUSTE C. MARVE, second son of Mrs. A. Marve, of Hydropolis, aged 20 years.

   The deceased was a native of this Parish and first left Avoyelles, since the breaking out of the war, with Capt. Fenelon Cannon’s Company of Cavalry. He left that Corps to enter the Alexandria Rifles. Capt. Davidson, of the Crescent Regiment, which fronted the enemy at the renowned battlefield of Shiloh. He fell suddenly and after a few days illness died. He was one of the youngest of the company, and among the first of its members to “yield his spirit into the hands of his Creator.”


June 21, 1862 p. 1


CRIME BAYOU ROUGE—For a long time William C. Robert, Parish Surveyor, and George Fitch were in bad terms. Although connected by family ties, they being brother-in-laws. They lived upon the same plantation. Lately, R. made threats against F. declaring that before long one of the two would be killed, which unfortunately for ?, proved ?  ? be the truth. On Saturday, the 7th inst., he sent a challenge to F., which was declined and on the ensuing Monday, by about 9 a.m. while he was gong to his field he met there F. who was armed with a gun. F. asked him if it would not be proper for them to settle their quarrel; whereupon R. assenting and aiming his pistol at F. the latter fired his gun and lodged the deadly contents in the left side of R., who was killed upon the spot.

   This is the version we obtained of the melancholy affair and publish it with all reserves. Fitch up to this date has neither surrendered himself up to law nor been arrested.

   Wilson C. Robert was a well-read man. He amassed a large quantity of Lands while exercising his profession. He was distinguished for an excessive st?nginess.




June 28, 1862 p. 2



   At Marksville on the 24th inst., Françoise Normand, consort of the late Wm. Edwards, aged 47 years.

   The deceased was a native of the Parish and ? dearly esteemed for the good and shining qualities that adorned a wife, mother and friend. She was the idol of a large circle of friends and numerous relatives and long will her memory be revered by them all. Her sickness was a long, painful and lingering one, which with her usual meekness and amiability of temper she bore with true Christian fortitude and patience. Peace to her everlasting soul!     A. D. L.





July 19, 1862 - Juillet 19, 1862 p. 2



   Dimanche, 13 Juillet 1862, a Moreauville, JULIA LACOUR, a l’age de seize ans et quatre mois.

   Succombant aux atteintes de cotte maladie terribls, la fievre Typhoide, la jeune enfant n’a put entrevoir le monde que dans son aurore. Dans troi jours l’auge de la mort a eu moissonne cette tender fletur et les joies de’une famille heurense jusqu’alors ont ete soudainement interrompues. Oh! C’es un spectacle dechirant que de voir mourir une jeune fille!Le tombeau recouvre beaute, jeunesse, vertns, tous tresors inestimabled ne notre faible humanite. Son pere, ALPHONSE LACOUR, et sa mere n’auront plus leur enfant cherie ponr embellir et egayet le foyer domestique.

   Ses amis ont mele leurs pleurs et lurs regrets, a ceux d’une famille eploree. J’ai voula moi aussi laisser un temoiguage de ma douleur et de ma sympathie pour les parents qui survivent a celle qu’ils pleureront bien longtemps.

A.      H. N.





Aug. 9, 1862 p. 2



   On board the C. S. Streamer Musie at Gorton’s Landing, Red River, on the 5th inst., of congestive fever, NARCISSE LANDERNEAU, a private in Captain M.V. Singleton’s Compy. From the Parish of St. Landry.




Aug. 16, 1862 p. 1  



   The people of Avoyelles have seldom been called to mourn the death of one so highly esteemed for his patriotism and private virtues as Lieut. Bordelon.

   When the rattle of the drum was first ?(torn out) in Louisiana he was engaged as ?(torn) of the Clerks in the auditor’s office in Baton Rouge. Seeing that war between the North and the South was inevitable, and not willing that others should endure its toils and dangers without his assistance, he went immediately to New Orleans for the purpose of joining the Chasseursapied which was at that time organizing under Col. St. Paul of that city. This was in the early part of May 1861. On arriving in the city he learned that Capt. R. M. Boone was getting up a company in this parish and abandoning the intention of joining the Chasseurs he returned home immediately. He went to his mother and obtained her consent that he should enlist under Capt. Boone. His father, who has since gone to his reward with the generatious before the flood, and, who had ever been esteemed for his good qualities in all the social relations of life, was even anxious that his noble boy should join the army. Marçelin had been a dutiful son, and had realized all the most flattering hopes of his public spirited father. At home he had been hind to all, afiable in his intercourse wit his comrades-with the pablie-possessing a sprightly mind and a generous heart. His morals were unexceptionable. Addicted to no vices, he commanded the respect of every one and always dignified, he was justly esteemed a fine specimen of a gentleman. His father might well center his hopes in such a son. In 1858 or 1859 he left Avoyelles and entered for a while Centenary College at Jackson La. Here he remained about two sessions, during which he made very creditable progress in his studies, and at the end of the time returned home having learned to speak the English language fluently. His terms of service as deputy Clerk in the office of Clerk of the District Court of Avoyelles, and in the Auditor’s office at Baton Rouge had made him familiar with very much of the business that is usually transacted in these offices, and at the time of his enlistment as a private in the Atchaflaya Guards he may be said to have been one of the most useful young men in the parish. As such he took leave of us in May 1861. The short but eloquent speech which he made to his friends at Mansura, as the company was leaving there for Simmesport, should never be forgotten by those who were present. Raising himself in the buggy at full length, he said in English first and then in French to the ladies and the masses that surrounded him. “Farewell my friends. It would afford me pleasure to remain with you, but the voice of my country calls and I must heed. An unnatural foe seeks to deprive us of the Government of our choice, and to this end is about to invade Southern soil, the land of our birth. I go to meet him on the borders, before his footsteps shall pollute our soil. I will return when the peaceful banner of Freedom shall float over the entirety of the Southern Confederacy, or I will offer up my life in the effort to be free. Once more and it may be for the last time; I bid you all a soldier’s farewell.” These are the bole sentiments-these the patriotic purposes with which Marçelin P. Bordelon turned his back upon the friends of earlier days and the land of his birth. His company formed a par of the Second Regiment of La. Volunteers which was placed on the Peninsula under the command of Gen. Magruder. It arrived there in May 1861 where it remained until it was deemed advisable to evacuate and leave the Peninsula to the enemy. Private letters from the company all represented young Bordelon as a gallant and faithful soldier always zealous in the cause of Southern Independence. He had gone into the ranks as a private, and for meritorious conduct had been promoted to the third Lieutenancy which position he held at the time of his death. His career from beginning to end is one that may be contemplated with admiration and pride by every lover of Southern Freedom. A pure hearted, clear headed and ardently patriotic youth, he waited not to be persuaded to enter the ranks, but resolutely sought the first occasion to enlist as a defender of his country’s cause. He was never remiss, always at his post, commanding the confident and love of the company, and finally ended his short but glorious career triumphantly leading it against one of the most deadly of the enemy’s batteries. His superior officers were sick and unable to take command with one exception. Lieut. Jenkins had led them until he fell mortally wounded, when the command devolved on Lieut. Bordelon, who died, like Bozarris “cheering his band.” He lived to see the enemies of his country routed and its Capital secure. It was the object of his fond ambition. For eight long and perilous days had the contest raged and as the roar of the cannon was dwindling to an echo and the enemy was wending his way in inglorious flight, Bordelon fell. No nobler death could have overtaken a chevalier. He was a native of Avoyelles and was born on the 18th day of November A. D. 1838. He died on the 5th of July A. D. 1862 the anniversary of the death of the lamented Col. Chas. D. Dreux. His example is eminently worthy of imitation, and t the latest posterity the people should hold his name and deeds in grateful remembrance.

                                                                                                                          E. N. C…


Aug. 30, 1862 p. 2



   A Marksville, dans les bras de son pere, le 24 aout 1862, a 4 heures de l’Après midi, ROBERT RICORD, age de un an et un mois.


   A Hydropolis, le 24 aout 1862 a 11 heures du soir, CHARLES SERS, ne a Castres, Dept. du Tarn, age de 47 ans et 4 mois.




Oct. 11, 1862 p. 1


Lieut. Thomas Hickman Waddill


   Lieut. Waddill was born in the parish of Avoyelles on the 13th day of June A. D. 1842. and was the eldest son of the late Hon. John P. Waddill and of Mrs. J. M. Waddill. The first branches of an education he learned under the tuition of the late John McDonell, whose once thriving school is still well remembered by the citizens of this parish. In the year of 1856 he left home and entered St. Joseph’s College, situated at Bardstown in the State of Kentucky. In 1857 he took leave of this institution and entered Georgetown College in the same state and remained there pursuing his studies until the end of the first session of 1860. He then returned home and commenced the study of the law under the instructions of his paternal uncle, Wm. W. Waddill Esq. Of the Avoyelles Bar. Immediately after the withdrawal of the State of Louisiana from the Government of the United States, which occurred on the 26th of January A. D. 1861, and when he beheld that war was inevitable, he set about raising a company of volunteers in conjunction with Co. W. W. Johnson of this parish. Before they had succeeded in completing it, Capt. R. M. Boone who had antedated them in his efforts to raise a company, visited Marksville for the purpose of recruiting. Whilst here and on the 23rd day of April 1861, our young patriot hero abandoned the design of raising a company him self, went into the ranks and became a member of the Atchafalaya Guards. His zeal in the cause, his usefulness and his soldier-like bearing were matters of universal remark and every one concurred in the concession that he made a splendid soldier.

   It was not long before he set out with his company for Yorktown Va., the Atchafalays Guards formed a portion of the 2nd Regt. Louisiana Volunteers, and as among the very first companies that reached the seat of war on York River. Remained there for a few months, when he was ordered to a different field of operations. The zeal of our hero never once altered but through every privation and his every vicissitude he showed the ?(very faded) gallant bearing, the same ardor in be??(faded, hard to read)the cause, that he envinced when he first enlisted. He was always cheerful in perfecting his duties and by his gentlemanly manner, his affability and kind  ?  (unable to read)he won the admiration and love of all his companions in arms. He had enlisted for one year, but upon the expiration of his term of service he re-enlisted for two years or the remainder of the war. He than began to act as 2nd Sergeant in which capacity he continued to serve until after the battle of Richmond, when he was elected 2nd. Lieut. of his company. About this time, the Louisiana Volunteers were Brigaded and placed under command of Gen. T. J. Jackson. The 2nd Regt. La. Vols., henceforth consti  (faded) apportion of the 2nd Brigade of Louisiana Volunteers. The Capt. And 1st. Regt. Of the Atchafalaya Guards being sick and absent the command of the company devolved upon Lieut. Waddill. He was thus acting on the 30th day of Aug. last on the ever memorable plains of Manassas, valiantly and bravely leading his men amid the leaden storm that greeted them, when he received a mortal wound. Whilst it is a cause of deep sorrow, that one so generous and brave, so kind and well beloved should fall a victim to northern outrages it assuages the pangs that pierce our hearts to know that, he fell were a soldier loves to fall, if fall he must, triumphantly leading his devoted band in defense of his country and the rights of the loved ones at home.

   His sufferings ended on the following morning, the 31st of August, when e h, the Christian’s best friend took him from the world. His remains were decently interred beneath Virginia’s consecrated sod, and upon the head board that marks his place of everlasting rest if inscribed by some friendly (unable to read)  Lieut. T. H. Waddill, aged 20 years. From a private letter indited by one of is company, we learn that as an officer he was endeared to this command, by his gentleness and courtesy. Though we lost many gallant comrades, the death of none has cast so much gloom over the minds of the company as the loss of this noble boy.” This is a brief but a befitting and proud eulogium, which his bereaved relations and friends should find consolation in. Lieut. Waddill was loved at home and from his earliest boyhood exhibiting those frank and ennobling traits of character which distinguished his career in the camp, and endeared him to all his companions in arms.

  His many private and social virtues, his fervid and inspiring patriotism, his enduring devotion to the cause of Southern independence, his bravery and gallantry on the field of battle and his heroic death, have reared him a shrine in every heart and a monument in every patriot’s memory.

“Whom the gods love die young” was said of yore,

And many deaths do they escape by this:

The death of friends and that which slays even more,

The death of Friendship, Love, Youth, all that is,

Except more breath: and since the silent shore

Awaits (?) last even those whom longest miss

The Archer’s shafts, perhaps the early Grave

Which men weep over  may be meant to save.”

   The account given his bereaved mother of his last moments by a friendly correspondent warrants the belief that our (?) was sustained and (?) by an unfaltering trust, and approach’d his grave like one that drapery of his couch about him and lies down to pleasant dreams.”

                  E. N. C.




Nov. 8, 1862 p. 2



   Le 23 Octobre 1862 a 6 ½ heures du soir, PIERRE AIMABLE ADHAMAR BEAUCLAIR, age de deus ans et vingt ours.




Nov. 22, 1862 p. 1



   Eu cette paroisse, let 18 Novembre 1862 JEAN BAPTISTE MARTIN GRÉMILLION, a l’age de 42 ans et 5 mois.

   Quent la more parait sur le seuil d’une famile il semble qu’elle s’acharne la en choisir les victims. Ici nous venon deplorer la perte d’un homme dans la force de l’âge, d’un citoyen verneux et remlissant tous ses devoirs de chretien. Notre ami est mort après une bien courte maladie, et cet evenement est venu remplir de tristesse la communaute tout entiere. Dans ces temps de terribles epreuves, ou chaque jour arnonceaun deuil au foyer de nos, fils absents, il semblegait que l’enducissement s

Empare des coears. Non, loin de la! Vous avez vu les hrmes qu’ont verses ceux qui snivaient notre ami jusqu a sa derniere demeuse. Combieu tous ( rest of sentence not readable) le coup porte a une famille don’t les malheurs inspirentle respect le plus profound. Un pere avance enegage, avait remis a ce fils les travaus importants qui s’executaient au Moulin a seie pur le compte du governement.

Ces trevaux sont aujourd’buti suspendus, et ce respectable vieillard en voyant descendre dans la tombe celui qui etait son baton de vieillesse,(?) se demander si Dieu ne tonchera pas le Coeur des homes en lui epargnant ceux qui’il a dounes pour la defence du pavset qui ne sout pas la pour le consoler.

   Nous melons nos larmes a celles de cette famille affligee, et nous temoigaons ci l’expression de nos regrets a la porte d’un ami qui nous etait cher.                                                                                      L. H. C.




Dec. 20, 1862 p. 1



   At a meeting of Atchafalaya Lodge F. & A. M., held I their Hall at Simmesport La. On the 6th December A. D. 1862, the following preamble and resolutions were unanimously adopted.

  Whereas, it has pleased an Allwise Providence to remove from among us our late Brother, Henry Nelson White, who fell nobly in the battle of Groveton Va., on the 30th of August last, while manfully standing at his post in defense of his country’s rights.

   Resolved, That we bow with submission to this sad afliction in the full belief that God orders all things well.

   Resolved, That we deeply feel for the bereaved Mother and Sisters of our beloved Brother, and cherish the hope that their loss is his gain.

   Resolved, That in him our Lodge has lost a zealous and true Mason, Society a useful member, his family a devoted son and brother, and our country a gallant and patriotic Solider.

   Resolved, That the Lodge Hall be draped in mourning and the members wear the usual badge of mourning for thirty days.

   Resolved, That the Secretary be instructed to forward a copy of there resolutions to the family of our deceased Brother, and that they be published in the Avoyelles Pelican.

J. G. Calliham

P. J. Whitley

F. H. Babbit


By order of J. B. Robinson W. M.

F. H. Babbit secty. Pro tem.




July 3, 1863 p. 2




   At the Military Hospital, Chattanoga, Tenn. April 9, 1863, private DAVID JOHNSON, a member of Co. A, 16th La. Aged 18 years and 5 months.

   The deceased was born in our midst, in the parish of Avoyelles, on the 12th of November 1844, and was educated at the Marksville High School, under our own direction, till the tocsin of war rung through the land.

  Inheriting from his parents that love of his country which brought him after so short and so glorious a career to an untimely end, young Johnson was about seventeen when he left as a volunteer for the seat of war. He highly distinguished himself in many a battlefield and at the ever memorable day of Shiloh drew the admiration of his regiment for the coolness and bravery he displayed. This young hero’s enthusasim for his country’s cause and his achievements during the war are worthy of record and they almost border on romance. Well may our old and respected friend, Colonel W. W. Johnson, and his patriotic lady, be proud of having raised so noble and so gallant a son for these glorious times. The have never been heard to murmur at the irreparable lose they sustain. There son died while assisting to repel the invader from our land, and many a parent would be proud it such a destiny as David Johnson’s was reserved for those they have brooded in their bosoms.  David died far from the loved ones of home, but Sheldon, his eldest brother, still faces the enemy in the long contested struggle and will, it is our fond hope, be spared to his family, his country and his friends.




   Mardi 30 Juin 1863 a Mansura, en cette paroisse, EUGÉNIE BORDELON, epouse d’ISIDORE PORET. Une foule nombreuse a suvii le convcide cette mere par evcellence, morta an moment ou elle etait le plus nec-ssanine a an jeune famille.

  Sun epoux, assoutume au malbeur et qui par education et par experience de la vie sait ce que c’est gue la sonffrunce, accepters sans murnmurer le coup que las Providence vient de lui porter et nous en avons la certitude a armera de nouvelles forces. Sec enfants grandirent en( rest not readable).






June 14, 1862 p. 1




   At the residence of Capt. B. A. Robert, on Thursday, the 12th inst., Theodore R. Robert, of Rapides Parish, to Miss. Martha D. Rice of South Carolina.

   We have been unable to attend the select party on that occasion, although a special invitation was extended to us, but we were represented at the wedding. Our Junior Editor was delightfully pleased with the way everything was conducted at the hospitable mansion of our friend the Captain. The luxuries of the table, the brilliant array of beautiful ladies in the dancing room, the bride in her full beauty, intelligent and noble as a Southern Lady always is, were enough to call forth the admiration of those present. The bridegroom did not forget the sparkling champagne and the sweet cakes that found their way to our sanctum and we were made happy for one moment. Cannot our friend expect more lasting felicities!



Avoyelles Pelican, Marksville, La.  March 16, 1861- Jan. 16, 1864 Successions




Zélia Ducoté w/o Pierre Ducoté                                            March 16, 1861 p. 1

vol. XVII. #46


Freeman P. Hitchborn                         Feb. 9, 1861                March 16, 1861 p. 1

 vol. XVII #46


Marie Lafon w/o Louis Ingouf          Sept. 1861                  Oct. 5, 1861 p. 1

 vol. XVIII #23


Joseph Guillot &

 Nancy Guillot his wife                     Sept. 21, 1861             Oct. 5, 1861 p. 1

vol. XVIII #23


Éliza Ducoté ,

 dec. widow/ Jean Baptiste Lemoine  Aug. 31, 1861            Oct. 5, 1861 p. 1

vol. XVIII #23


Nicholas R. Fisher                             Sept. 29, 1861             Oct. 5, 1861 p. 1

vol. XVIII #23 


Marguerite Guillory                           Nov. 16, 1861             Nov. 16, 1861 p. 2 


François Roy                                      Dec. 7, 1861               Dec. 7, 1861 p. 1


Prudent de Beaute alias d’Artlys        Nov. 30, 1861             Dec. 7, 1861 p. 1


AZélia Juneau

dec. w/o Valérien Moreau                 Jan. 4, 1862                 Jan. 4, 1862 p. 1


Joseph A. Corke                                March 29, 1862            March 29, 1862 p. 1


J. B. David                                         April 19, 1862             April 19, 1862 p. 1


Désiré Juneau                                     June 28, 1862              June 28, 1862 p. 1


Wilson C. Robert                               June 21, 1862              July 5, 1862 p. 2


Françoise Normand                            July 5, 1862               July 5, 1862 p. 2


Ellen Aymond

 wid./o Chas. Fouquière dec.              July 5, 1862                July 5, 1862 p. 2